Monday, October 4, 2010

Hugs, Not Drugs



What it do baby boo? 'Tis Sir Marcus again here, providing yet another glimpse into the bucket of neurosis that is my brain; I do it because I care, people. Even HM would have to admit that I've been pretty diligent about these updates in the past few months, so if you see or speak to her soon, tell her yes, to answer the age-old question, I do want a cookie. While waiting on that, let's get right into this week's topic: drugs.

So as I was outside in Speaker's Circle people-watching between classes today, some guy comes up to me and gives me a flier from some group he's in -- the "Students for Sensible Drug Policy." I'm all for what they're trying to do. We can all acknowledge that our country's drug policies are less than perfect. The flier he handed me implores students to vote yes on Prop. 19 (California-based ballot for the legalization of marijuana). Though marijuana isn't for me, I've gone on record for conceding that legalizing it would do more good than harm, so it only makes sense that it becomes legalized. It's far less harmful than nicotene and alcohol, yet cigarettes and booze are both legal? That logic is unbelievably weak; no one's buying it and we shouldn't be selling it.

Here's the kicker, blogosphanatics: it's no secret that I'm straight-edge. That means that I don't drink, don't smoke, and generally don't take prescripted medications. That's just my choice - some of it has to do with my family's history of substance abuse, but it's mostly because I just don't personally find it that appealing. I'm certainly no C.M. Punk - I don't have an issue with those that do these things in moderation. It's your life and I say do whatever floats your boat, but keep in mind that said boat will most likely be sunk by the HUGEmongous crack rock that you're storing. You've been warned.

Speaking of crack... It still kills.

Back to the original premise of this post, the flier then proceeded to give "3 reasons that YOU should fight for sensible drug policies."This is where it falls apart for me. The first reason states "Your education is in danger," and then goes on to talk about how many students have had to drop out of school or find alternate means of paying for school because they had drug convictions and were denied financial aid. At the risk of sounding callous, I call tough titties on that one. Again, no one's saying that all of our drug laws are perfect, but at the same time, the law is pretty black and white about what's legal and not. It has always astounded me how people can willfully take part in an illegal activity -- that means ecstasy and meth as well, for those of you who are reading this from rehab -- but then act surprised or even angry when they are chastised for it. If part of the allure to breaking rules is that feeling of danger and the thrill of getting away with it, then part of that should also be the full resignation to the possibilities of getting caught and the subsequent consequences. You can't have your caked up crack rocks and eat them too.

Yes, even I will say that I think weed should be legal, but for the time being, it's not legal, and because of that, you are and absolutely should be subject to the full letter of the law; it's that simple. The flier also goes on to say that their 2nd reason is that the War on Drugs is a multi-billion dollar exercise in money wasting, but it doesn't suggest any solutions to this problem. Legalizing marijuana isn't going to mean that the drug industry WON'T cost money to maintain, and while it isn't legal, obviously we can't just stop spending on it cold-turkey, lest we risk freelance drug-dealing and usage running amok. So tell me, how would NOT spending money in the War on Drugs help? Don't worry, I'll wait...

Finally, there is reason #3 -- most drug-related violence is based on the prohibition of them as opposed to the abuse of them, consequently causing police to spend their time chasing the wrong criminals -- which also brings the weak sauce. That implies that cops are completely ignoring criminals for crimes not related to drugs. Rapists, arsonists, and those that murder just for the hell of it are no less important than drug dealers or those that murder over drugs, and this flier shouldn't try to reduce that issue  -- or any of these issues, for that matter -- to something so black and white; something so trivial. It's ridiculous to even begin to suggest that the time spent on drug-related crimes -- something that rightfully is very important -- is what has really been preventing cops from catching a serial rapist. Don't bring that weak shit into my house.

I will admit that I appreciate their enthusiasm though. Obviously the War on Drugs is much bigger than what I've mentioned here, but you guys get the gist. I believe they're sending the right message and plugging the right product, but their packaging is a little off. They need to come stronger than that because you can't sell me bullshit -- I know the prices. 

Until next time, this is Sir Marcus T. Williams signing off....... Yall stay classy out there and take care now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment