Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Textbook Temps: Doin' Work

Whats really good blogosphere, Sir Marcus again here

It's been quite awhile people, let's catch up for a bit, huh? 

So I've now been working as a temp at the bookstore for about a month and I gotta say, I really don't hate it at all. I work with a really solid stable of other students; every day we're definitely growing more and more comfortable around each other. The store has been getting progressively more busy over the past few days or so as students begin moving onto campus and picking up their books, so alot of us have been logging a few more hours than we used to, but it's not even that bad because the time doesn't drag like it did in the beginning. I legitimately can't say that there's anyone there that I completely dislike. Well, then again....

There is one person who comes close: this girl named Cathy.  You ever meet someone so painfully unaware of their annoyance that you dread having to see them everyday? I SWEAR whoever created the phrase "being a Chatty Cathy" did so after an unfortunate run-in with her. Long story short, the girl talks too damn much. I seriously wish we had never made acquaintances. I mean, don't get me wrong, she means well, but that's simply not enough to get you in the door. I hate getting there in the mornings and seeing her cuz she always greets me like "MARCUUUUSSS! How are you?" It's hard to convey tone and voice inflection via blog, but she always emotes these greetings with a slight pang of enthusiasm that implies to everyone else the sense that perhaps me and her are good friends; Don't be fooled, innocent bystanders. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not friends. 

Don't think this is just me bitching about sumthin as trivial as a hello; I wish that were the extent of the damage. There is a foul stench that follows her around. Not only does it follow her wherever she goes, it PRECEEDS her as well; that's some next-level shit. You aint supposed to smell someone coming around the corner. But, did I mention that she NEVER STOPS TALKING? Cathy, when  you're speaking and not only are people allowing your random, completely un-fascinating statements to fall on deaf ears, but you also notice that the people you're speaking to are going out of their way to NOT make eye contact with you, then that's a pretty solid indication that you are officially engaged in a one-way conversation and that it is time to call it a day on trying to talk to them. And I literally mean call it a day; I would like to not participate in AT LEAST the rest of that day's dialogues, not just the one you're force-feeding us this hour, mmkay?

Not only that, but she never lets the rest of us temps forget that she has been working at MU's bookstore (as a temp) for the past 6 or 7 semesters. Because of this fact, from time to time, she tends to carry herself with an air of confidence that seems to suggest that she is somehow above the rest of us and carries some odd, unofficial sense of authority that I seriously doubt has ever been officially bestowed upon her. The great irony in this is that, of all of the temps working there, though she has a little more knowledge about the workings of our system (which should be expected, given how long she's professed to have been working there - me and some of the guys have dubbed her a "Permanent Temp" for her seemingly hopeless chances of ever being promoted to anything higher than what we are now), she seems to be the worst at doing the relatively simple jobs that we're given. For instance, we're now passing out Early Bird textbook reservations, but before that we had to actually go around with student schedules and choose the corresponding books to fill those Early Bird orders. We had to initial the bottom of the pages to denote who filled what order and those order forms go in the box with the books. So as we've been passing and sorting the Early Bird orders with the students this week, Cathy has been bragging about how few mistakes she makes on the forms that she did. And if you're willing to discount all the mistakes she ACTUALLY makes on the forms she does, then she absolutely doesn't make mistakes. I've found myself taken aback by how bad her order forms are when they come up in my boxes some days. I mean DAMN, Cathy; are you just grabbing books blindly out there? Get your head outta ur ass, please, we have orders to fill. But do you guys know what the worst thing about Cathy? That throughout my writing of this blog, somewhere Cathy is with someone else and STILL IS NOT DONE TALKING. Tis a pity, I say.

But all Cathyness aside, the job is pretty damn cool. I mean, being on ur feet all day isn't great, but the chemistry being built with my coworkers is terrific. We get to interact with people of our age group everyday and our superiors are generally pretty easygoing on us. We joke around quite a bit so there aren't very many dull moments throughout the day when we have brief respites from work, which is a far cry from the early days of the job, where we would all stand/sit around in slightly awkward silence during our down time. I'm certainly not meaning to sit here and wax poetic about the subtle intricacies and overly rewarding qualities of the job. I'm fully aware that at the end of the day, I'm only a temporary textbook stocker; nothing more, nothing less. But, when you legitimately like being around the same group of people day in and day out - which is no small task, as there are 40+ temps working there right now, which doesnt even account for the people who work there year-round - then getting up to go toil in the same tedium and minutiae everyday really doesn't seem so bad. It certainly isn't the worst job I've had in recent memory; I can genuinely say that I hope to brought back to work there again come Christmas season and the advent of the next semester. 

So that seems like a good place to close out the day's rant. it's been good sharing with yall again. In the meantime, this is Sir Marcus T. Williams signing off, yall take care now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment